9 Responses to Has Chris Brogan Gone Insane?

1. Patrick says:

Your piece is interesting. I like the comparison to traditional newspapers and subscription models. I will say, I think it's the worst idea and far worse for a business person to attempt this model, especially since he is a marketer by trade, not necessarily a blogger.

He is offering blog content at $9.97/month. I get more value out of my netflix account for that price and there is reasons for those costs than I would out of Brogan's email sub. There is cost in labor, production, packaging, mailing, etc. so the cost makes sense. Now, unless he used a formula to determine the price I'd argue and say wholesaling blog content for 9.97 isn't worth it's weight.

The reason people pay him or anyone else for consulting and marketing strategies is because it is unique to each individual buisness/client in their particular industry and situation, based on their wants and needs. Creating blog content that gets sent out to 100+ people (making up a number for the sake of argument) at the cost of 10/each isnt' fair for those individuals. The purpose of writing good content is to shine through the garbage. Not sit in the first place spot with other subscribers. Of course the work comes down to the writer at that point. Just because he is giving insights on content doesn't mean they all write fabulous pieces or bad ones, that is completely subjective.

Trade publications work great and are very valuable. But from what I've seen, and this is completely subjective, blogging and new media spans every industry for the most part. Not to say it isn't valuable to all but each piece is a give and take. Some information is valuable for one person may not be valuable to another based on industries (retail vs pharma).

I could see this information being more valuable at a lower cost. $10 isn't a lot of money, but spending $10 to get the same information as everyone else isn't worth it, not when it's supposed to be "valuable" information. If it gets more narrowed and manages to focus different parts for different users/industries/professions I could see the value, which is why people will pay $200+ for WWD versus $18/year for GQ.

I guess we'll see how it goes, or we won't, depending if you get a subscription or not.

• CT Moore says:

Interesting point of view vis a vis Netflix. I never really looked at it that way. But honestly, as much as Netflix might offer me more value for about the same price, < $10 / month of blogging ideas isn't all that much money at all. I mean, you can easily spend 1 hour + brainstorming content every month, and I think most people think their time is worth more than $10/hour.

But you're right about how sharing the same ideas with 100+ people kind of sucks. This is the main reason I didn't sign up for the newsletter.

2. @cnctNow says:

I think you almost nailed this on the head. The key to Chris success in this is that his product is "value added". It's not like those get rich schemes that try and get you to buy their DVD's to learn how to buy and sell real-estate. He selling the sequel to "Trust Agents" which I found incredibly insightful not to mention useful as a "life's lessons" sort of guide. I think the value here is that he gives you more materials after giving you the tools with "Trust Agents". So now you have the materials, you have the tools, all you have to do is use the tools to make something out of the materials. It's the perfect companion.

3. But unlike a newspaper or magazine, Chris isn't offering just 'content.' — He's offering bloggers, writers or business owners ideas, prompts and generators for creating their own endless content.

4. sueannereed says:

When Chris first launched the service, my first thought was "great idea" and then I debated for a few days on whether or not I would get anything out of it *and* put it in to practice. I was an early member of Third Tribe Marketing – a multi-faceted website behind a "paywall" offering really great marketing content put together by Chris and a couple of other really smart business marketing folks. So, I know Chris has a great track record of providing really excellent value and consistently delivering when he says he will.

Ultimately, I did decide to subscribe to blog topics and the emails so far have been well worth it.

5. CT Moore says:

And at 251 subscribers, it looks this is going to be very much worth your time, especially if you can keep your time-investment down around 10 hours/ month.

6. Pat Grady says:

insane, definitely not. crazy, yes – for selling access for this low a price. nothing personal meant, but the netflix comparison is what's insane here.

7. Fleiger says:

As much as I like free stuff, I enjoy stuff that’s worth paying for, too. Some people are so used to getting free content on the internet that they’re offended by the notion that online products might actually cost money. The gravy train can’t go on forever and I think it’s becoming more viable to start charging for newsletters. It might be a bit early for Chris to make this transition, but time will tell. I’m sure that if he provides worthwhile content, his subscribers will be happy to pay for it.