I Spy on You! With iSpionage.com

It is almost frightening how many amazing tools are coming out now that allow online marketers to do an amazing job monitoring their competitors and affiliates. Founded by Leon Krishnayana, iSpionage.com offers competitive paid search intelligence on your competitors and affiliates for all three major search engines, Google, Yahoo! and MSN. Why I like this tool is that it has saved my team valuable time in monitoring affiliates and monitoring paid search competitors, now we get an email notification when something relevant happens rather then spending hours hunting in three different engines.

There are other tools out there that are similar in function, however the best part about iSpionage.com for me is the ability to get frequent data updates, the ability to download data into excel, AND I am able to monitor affiliate usage of brand and trademark terms in all three engines.

Competitor alerts such as a new competitor in your territory, new competitor keywords or ads or iSpionage.com allows you to set multiple alerts for each of your trademarks (i.e.: URL, trademark product names, etc.)
The pricing starts at $39.00 and is well worth it, anyone in the affiliate management or paid search management space would do well by checking this company out – Well I’ll be seeing you… literally. 😉
iSpionage.com Check out the features

Highlights of this tool include

1) PPC Competitive Intelligence

2) Affiliate Research

3) Competitor Alerts

4) Research competitors’ keywords

About Heather Paulson

Heather Paulson is the President of PaulsonManagementGroup.com which provides Affiliate Management, Paid Search Management, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Management and affiliate video production and affiliate recruiting services.

Heather was appointed to the Affiliate Summit advisory board in 2006. In 2007 Ms. Paulson was appointed to the advisory board for Affiliate Classroom. In 2007 Ms. Paulson was elected as PPCClassroom.com’s education manager. in 2008 Ms Paulson was nominated as a FAB member of the Performance Marketing Association and is an honorary recipient of the ACC Certified Affiliate Managers Course. in 2008 Heather Paulson was invited to become a member of The Internet Oldtimers Foundation. She has passed the Google professionals certification twice. Heather also blogs at Paulson Management Group Blog. You can follow Heather on Twitter: @Heatherpaulsons.

15 Responses to I Spy on You! With iSpionage.com

1. Katie Scott says:

Heather,

You're right about the plethora of new tools in the market. However, what's really 'frightening' are the number of them that are plain awful!

Last week ago, I cancelled my $89.95 registration for one that promised 'real-time tracking of competitors in 3 search engines.'

I actually registered for iSpionage last week. It's a relief to get a service that actually works like it's supposed to.

Thank you for confirming (for people like me) what actually works in the market.

2. Hi Katie,

I like to let others know when I find something that is extremely useful and can save them time and money – Glad you like it also – My mouth dropped open when I saw the excel data export function to easily export keywords, etc..

What is also useful is the paid search monitoring of affiliates – now email alerts take the place of what used to be hours of search trolling for affiliate ads – trademarks, brand name, domains, product names, other monitored terms easily set up as alerts.. Boing!

Cheers,

Heather Paulson

3. peter bordes says:

Heather

Thank you very much for sharing this. It helps us find new and valuable services in the growing sea of to many. Looking forward to having our teams try this service.

Are you using any search execution services in parallel? We have started using Soothware http://www.soothware.com which allows us to be able to dynamically manage and monitor our search campaigns across the big three. They will be adding more and also the ability to manage your banner/ad networks.Let me know what you think.

Best

peter

4. Pat Grady says:

Given the choice to review my competitors or to look at myself for things to improve, I nearly always go intro.

So is it that I've got such gaping problems, relative to others, that I think looking inward is a more productive choice… or does my over-healthy ego tell me that my competitors just aren't that smart, and as such, looking to them for ideas isn't the best use of my time…

The former would say I'm likely not doing as well as them and I need to catch up by being more like them… that's not the case… so I must conclude that I'm very full of myself. 🙂

So, with very little humilty, I wonder why everyone wants to be such a follower with these stupid tools… once you make copycatting a hobby, you guarantee mediocrity.

They way these "tools" are marketed to us, is to appeal to our desire to feel clever, a strong pull indeed. Do they make you clever, or do they make you feel clever? I'd say if you look at the larger picture, you become a less clever imitator when you choose this road, and the opportunity to hone your thinking skills further is tossed aside, in pursuit of a shortcut to average. That's not clever, it's bombastic. It does make the tool provider out to be pretty clever though, so not all is lost.

I'm not anti-tool, I am a tool… wait, I meant I prefer tools that leverage my own talents, not seek to copy or leverage the work of others, especially the ones I compete with. Where's the price in whooping somebody if you stole their ideas? And, is it even possible to whoop somebody by being just like them?

5. Pat Grady says:

typo, meant…

Where’s the pride in whooping somebody if you stole their ideas?

6. Wayne Porter says:

Pat,

I think most people use tools like this more as "brand defense" or compliance (credit card companies).

I am curious, Heather, how it handles geo and time-targeting? From a compliance standpoint that can be very tricky.

regards,

Wayne

7. Hi Wayne,

Good point – predominantly we use the application for paid search brand and trademark monitoring of affiliates and competitors for a few clients – You hit it on the mark concerning geo targeting and search day-parting of affiliates. Really savvy affiliates geo target trademark or brand ads "outside" of states for example that the affiliate manager does not reside in, so in essence bypassing the affiliate managers state so the affiliate manager can not see the affiliates paid search ads – also really savvy affiliates put ads up during times when affiliate managers are sleeping so they can not be monitored – this application sends us an email "alert" whenever a keyword (Brand or trademark terms) or an add goes up so we can monitor every aspect when it normally can not be done 24 hours per day and within geo regions that we would not otherwise be able to see.

Concerning competitor monitoring, it is always nice to fill in the holes that competitors are missing, also it is advantages in the retail verticals to spot sales and coupons in competitor ads so we can beat their offers immediately. Using a tool like iSpionage.com allows us to strengthen our own strategies and to be as highly competitive as possible.

Cheers, 🙂

8. You might also want to check out the audio interview I did with the iSpionage developers on June 20th:

9. Evan W. says:

Looks like a very nice tool!

10. It is – everyone knows if I find something I like I like to tell others about it – iSpionage.com is an excellent tool!!

Oh and thanks Joshua for the interview link!

Heather

11. Wes says:

Heather,

Cool meeting and chatting with you at ASE (and the ShareASale party). And certainly, learning from you about this tool was a great little nugget of information. (bye bye keyword spy).

I'm going to sign up for a trial tonight for a vertical I'm trying to enter.

Say hi if ur at ASW!.

– Wes

12. Hey Wes,

Was great to meet you as well! Yes I will see you at ASW!! See you soon!

Heather

13. ClarkeW says:

Looks like a very cool tool. I'd been looking at Keyword Spy but I think that I'm going to give this a try.

14. John Turner says:

I absolutely agree with Pat. In the longrun we'll just have more PPC advertisers that DO NOT have a clue obout online marketing. Who are you going to copy then?

I'm old school and I'll stick to my old ways. I'm doing just fine with one GREAT tool. Nichebot.

Also there is still the learning curve of how to use the product. They advertise 50 tutorials, 50 videos,etc. Something tells me the people who purchase these products to get rich quick will never learn how to use them.

Good luck to all!